For directions, transportation & airport information, visit our How to Get Here page
Is New Hampshire really tax-free?
Yes! Our boutiques, shops and malls have NO SALES TAX. That applies to our New Hampshire State Liquor Stores as well.
Where can I get great seafood on the Seacoast?
- Jumpin' Jay's Fish Café, Congress St., Portsmouth
- Pesce Blue, Congress St., Portsmouth
- Old Ferry Landing (seasonal, outdoor deck overlooking the tugboats and the Piscataqua River), Ceres St., Portsmouth
- Robert's Maine Grill & Market, Kittery, ME
- Warren's Lobster House, Kittery, ME
- Newick's Lobster House, Dover Point, NH
- Foster's Downeast Clambake, Rt. 1A, York Harbor, ME
- Sanders Fish Market, Marcy St., Portsmouth
- Sanders Lobster Co., Pray St., Portsmouth
- Portsmouth Lobster Company, Sagamore Rd.
- Lo's Seafood & Oriental Market, Woodbury Ave., Portsmouth
- York Lobster & Seafood, Rt. 1, York, ME
Where can I get breakfast?
- Popovers on the Square, Market Square, Portsmouth
- Me & Ollie's Cafe and Bakery, Pleasant Street and Lafayette Rd.,
- The Works Bakery & Cafe, Congress St., Portsmouth
- Anello's Gluten Free Cafe, Congress St., Portsmouth
- Cafe Espresso, 800 Islington St., Portsmouth (sit-down breakfast)
Where can I get coffee?
Breaking New Grounds or Starbucks in Market Square, downtown Portsmouth
Is there a grocery store or pharmacy in downtown Portsmouth?
No - you will need to drive a mile or so outside of the downtown area to 1600 Woodbury Avenue (Shaw's Supermarket) or 800 Islington Street (Hannaford).
Are there whale watches out of Portsmouth?
There are no whale watching tours out of Portsmouth. The harbor cruises out of Portsmouth head out past the lighthouses to the Isles of Shoals. For whale watching, there is Deborah Ann Whale Watch out of nearby Cape Neddick, Maine, and Al Gauron Deep Sea Fishing & Whale Watch out of nearby Hampton Beach. There are also a few vessels out of Rye, NH. Newburyport Whale Watch just 1/2 hour south in Massachusetts offers tours May to October.
How do I access the free Wi-Fi in downtown Portsmouth?
Wireless "hotspots," with FREE public internet access, are located in Market Square, downtown Portsmouth, and Prescott Park. If you have a Wi-Fi-ready laptop, PDA, etc. with a wireless Ethernet card installed, simply:
Open your browser; most newer systems, including Mac OS X and Windows XP, will automatically "grab" the signal.
If you have trouble logging on:
Go into your Control Panel
Manually select the SSID "eCoast Wi-Fi" and set your encryption to "off."
You will see the eCoast Technology Roundtable / Greater Portsmouth Chamber "Welcome" screen pop up in your browser.
After you've taken our short user survey, you'll get your Internet access password.
Please note: this is a community resource established for the convenience
of all, so please apply common courtesy rules. There are no guarantees or
warranties, explicit or implied, and you provide your own technical support.
Also note: This connection is not encrypted or secure. For more information,
please visit www.ecoastwifi.org or www.hotspotlist.com.
Does New Hampshire allow civil unions and gay marriage?
Civil unions are currently legal in New Hampshire. Gay marriage is under review. For the latest information, please visit the New Hampshire state government website (http://www.nh.gov).
For information on bus parking, please visit our Group Friendly page