Optima Bank & Trust, a locally owned, full-service bank with branches in Portsmouth, North Hampton, Stratham, Pease and Bedford with a loan office in Dover is hiring a Mortgage Loan Underwriter I for its office in downtown Portsmouth. We are an award-winning, fast-paced, entrepreneurial company. At Optima Bank & Trust you’ll find a culture that promotes individual growth and teamwork while keeping focused on how to best serve our customers.
Seeking an individual to conduct initial screening of the Bank’s one-to-four family mortgage and home equity line of credit loans and underwrite secondary market loans $150,000 and under.
Specific Work Requirements:
- Conduct initial screening of portfolio mortgages, secondary market mortgage loans and home equity lines of credit.
- Review application packages to determine completeness and the ability to identify missing documentation required to complete the underwriting process.
- Complete pre-screening worksheet.
- For owner-occupied and non-owner-occupied one-to-four family properties, the ability to determine the property’s repayment capacity (cash flow / NOI) is of great importance.
- Recommend underwriting action based on review of loan file and circumstances outlined.
Underwrite ‘speed desk’ secondary market mortgage loans.
- Familiarity with secondary market underwriting guidelines,
- As above, the ability to interpret findings, draw conclusions and make recommendations to Bank management.
Remain informed of banking regulations, laws and issues and changes to them. Recommend changes to the way the Bank underwrites its portfolio and secondary market loans based upon those changes, and disseminate appropriate information to Lending personnel as requested. A thorough understanding of Bank Policies and Procedures. Recommend updates to the Bank’s Policies and Procedures as necessary. Disseminate appropriate information to Lending personnel as requested. Perform other duties as determined by the Residential Mortgage Underwriting Manager relating to real estate secured assets. As applicable, ensure compliance with the Bank’s BSA Program, which includes BSA, Anti-Money Laundering, Customer Identification Program (CIP), Customer Due Diligence (CDD), Enhanced Due Diligence (EDD), On-going activity monitoring, Currency Transaction Reporting (CTR) and Suspicious Activity Reporting (SAR). Successfully and promptly fulfill all associated periodic training requirements as established by the Bank.
The ability to work as an integral team member is crucial, as is the ability to work within tight timeframes and balance several projects at one time.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Recommend to the Residential Mortgage Underwriting Manager any procedural changes in the residential loan underwriting process to enhance productivity and maintain regulatory compliance; assist in providing staff training as necessary to implement changes
- Meet or exceed established objectives and performance standards
- Provide prompt, professional and courteous service to all clients, staff and vendors
- Perform other duties as required within the definition of the job description
- Stay up to date on compliance and regulatory changes pertaining to residential lending
- Four year college degree or the equivalent experience.
- 1+ years of experience underwriting residential mortgage loan products, including a familiarity with secondary market underwriting practices or equivalent experience in mortgage field.
- A solid understanding of analyzing individual tax returns is required.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, be able to drive, have the use of a serviceable automobile that is properly registered with adequate liability insurance as required by state law.
Optima Bank & Trust offers competitive salary and a generous benefits package including; health, dental, life, disability, 401K, paid time off, an employee assistance program and paid holidays.
We invite you to find out just how different employment can be when you work at Optima Bank & Trust.
Optima Bank & Trust does not discriminate against any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation, Veteran's status or national origin.