Using Strawbery Banke’s buildings, collections, and landscapes, a Historical Roleplayer helps museum visitors connect their experiences and memories to the past through the portrayal of an individual living during a particular period in Portsmouth history. She/he uses a variety of approaches to communicate historical information, with a focus on providing an outstanding visitor experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct conversations with visitors of all ages, interests, abilities, and backgrounds to bring about new understandings of history and themselves
- Develop in-depth knowledge of historical periods and individuals interpreted on site
- Assist in protecting the safety of visitors and the security of museum collections
- Maintain a professional demeanor; cultivate good relations with colleagues; and represent the Museum in a positive light
- Work punctually on a tightly timed schedule
- Participate in annual and ongoing training to build professional knowledge in historical content, interpretive techniques, and educational theory
- Bachelor of Arts degree; coursework in history, art history, museum studies, anthropology, or education preferred; - or - Combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates equivalent proficiency
- Knowledge of and interest in American history, especially New England culture and history
- Excellent public speaking skills and ability to work enthusiastically with audiences of all ages, abilities, and cultural backgrounds
- Experience in acting, theatre, or improvisation
- Ability to read, remember, and transmit accurate content according to interpretive goals
- Sound judgment in response to challenging situations
This is a seasonal position (May – October) and weekend work is required. Must be willing to work indoors and out, in all weather conditions, while dressed in accurate historical garments. The rate of pay is $8.25/hour.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to: