Gundalow Company Educator/Deckhand
Educator/Deckhands present Piscataqua Maritime Region specific learning stations to
students and to the general public and assist with vessel operations. For June to October 2021, we are looking for one full time person (4-5 days a week) and a second person part time (2+ days a week.)
- A strong environmental ethic, plenty of stamina, flexibility, skill in public speaking, and a
- Marine education, local knowledge, and traditional sail experience are preferred.
- Experience and willingness to work with youth
- State background check, enrollment in a pre-employment and random drug testing program, and CPR/First Aid Certification (all provided by the Gundalow Company)
- Lead school programs and teach education stations related to history and marine science both onboard and onshore
- Give interpretive tours at dockside events and promote involvement through volunteering and membership.
- Works closely with the Captain and Program Manager to ensure a high quality onboard education program.
- Assist Captain to ensure safety of vessel and passengers at all times, participating in emergency drills and training
- Supervise deck operations (including docking and sail handling) during day sails.
- Assist in training volunteer crewmembers.
- Support gundalow maintenance plan.
The Gundalow Company’s mission is to Protect the Piscataqua region’s maritime heritage and environment through education and action. All people have the right to access, enjoy, and learn from the Piscataqua region’s heritage and ecology. We recognize that systemic inequality and exclusion have infringed upon this right.
The Gundalow Company is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy that employees and applicants will not be subjected to unlawful discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran’s status, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable state, federal or local laws.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to:
email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org