The Horticulture Interpreter oversees and develops educational programs in the museums Horticulture Learning Center. Public programs include lessons on plant science, biodiversity, herbalism and essential oil distillation, and cooking with heirlooms. The position oversees the implementation of educational lesson plans and the development of hands-on learning opportunities while interpreting the history and science of New England horticulture. She/he engages with the general public and works closely with staff and volunteers, with a focus on programming and the maintenance of an organic herb garden.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Maintain and care for the Organic Herb Garden using historic and modern horticultural practices
- Lead daily programs in the Horticulture Learning Center; educate and engage with museum visitors, including school groups and summer camps.
- Assist the Curator of Historic Landscapes and Horticulturist with the delegation and coordination of garden volunteers who are working in the Horticulture Learning Center and Herb garden
- Work independently to research and develop horticulture lesson plans as directed
- Educational background in plant science, horticulture, botany, farming, or related field
- Experience with garden/landscape education, preferably in a nonprofit or museum setting
- Knowledge of and ability to identify native and exotic plants
- Excellent communication skills
- Positive attitude and ability to interact with audiences of all ages, abilities, and cultural backgrounds
- Enthusiasm and passion for community outreach, education, gardening, and garden/landscape preservation
Work entails moving around and bending over throughout the day, with periods of work in the herb garden in all weather conditions. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
The part-time, temporary schedule is 7.5 hours/day, 3 days per week including two weekdays and one weekend day, from May 1 through October 31.
9:30 am to 5:30 pm with a half hour unpaid lunch (8 hour day).
Application Instructions:For consideration, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please reference the job title in the subject line.