Staff Accountant Job Description
Amazing opportunity to work in beautiful downtown Portsmouth (FREE parking) for a highly reputable company that truly values their employees. Medical, dental and vision insurance is 100% employer paid (employee only) along with short-term disability! We offer a generous PTO package, 401K w/ a 5% match, and 8 paid holidays per year.
We are a property management & construction company that has a mission to positively impact the urban renewal and beautification of the historical, downtown Portsmouth area while also providing a collaborative and rewarding workplace for our employees. Our staff is comprised of highly talented individuals that come together as a team to achieve common goals, one of which is to provide a pleasant and welcoming work environment.
In this position you’ll support our restaurant group to include the Martingale Wharf, The Rosa and Sol restaurants.
- Prepares periodic (monthly) balance sheets, income statements, and profit and loss statements.
- Maintains the general ledger.
- Codes invoices, sets up new accounts, reconciles accounts, and closes the monthly books.
- Reconciles bank accounts at least monthly, verifies deposits, and addresses inquiries from banks.
- Reconciles customer accounts and manages accounts receivable collections.
- Verifies payment of invoices associated with accounts payable and ensures payments are charged to the appropriate accounts.
- Provides outside accounting firm with year-end financials and gather any documents needed.
- As appropriate, coordinates with software vendor to maintain accounting software system; recommends updates to enhance the accounting software.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Solid knowledge of general financial accounting and cost accounting.
- Understanding of and ability to adhere to generally accepted accounting principles.
- Proficient with accounting software.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
- Preferred Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related discipline
- Three to five years of accounting experience required
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.