Assistant Horticulturist (Seasonal)
The Seasonal Assistant Horticulturist maintains period and teaching gardens, interpreting four centuries of garden and landscape history. She/he engages with the general public and works closely with volunteers within the museum landscape, with a focus on garden preservation and maintenance processes.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Maintain the gardens and general landscape at the museum using historic and modern horticultural practices
- Lead daily interpretive garden tours; educate and engage with museum visitors
- Assist with the organization of garden roleplayers, interns, and volunteers
- Work independently to complete tasks as directed
- Educational background in horticulture, botany, farming, or related field
- Experience with garden/landscape preservation and education, preferably in a nonprofit or museum setting
- Knowledge of and ability to identify native New England plants
- Excellent communication skills
- Positive attitude and ability to interact with audiences of all ages, abilities, and cultural backgrounds
- Enthusiasm and passion for community outreach, education, gardening, and garden/landscape preservation
The part-time, seasonal schedule is 7.5 hours/day, 3 days per week including two weekdays and one weekend day (preferably Sundays), from May through October. Occasional evening and other hours may be required for special events.
Must be physically fit. Work entails moving around the 9-acre site, with extended periods outdoors in all weather conditions. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
Application Instructions:For consideration, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please reference the job title in the subject line.